What is a “scientific journal article”, why should a student write it, and where to publish it?
Writing scientific articles is a process that must be carried out in accordance with established rules. Therefore, before starting work, it is necessary to familiarize yourself with the requirements for this type of work. Printing of scientific articles is a prerequisite for conducting scientific activities. It is by the quantity and quality of printed works that the qualitative characteristics of the scientist are evaluated. The primary purpose of the publication is to bring to the public the results of a scientist's study.
Any senior student has several publications of scientific articles in his arsenal since without them, it is impossible to defend a thesis and a master's thesis. Still, when writing a scientific journal article for the first time, this task poses a number of questions for the performer. We encounter newspaper articles very often, so we have a clear idea of what it is, but a scientific article has other writing and design requirements.
v What is a scientific journal article, its difference from entertaining?
A scientific article is a genre of journalism, which involves a summary of the conduct of scientific research and its results.
Scientific articles are written by students of different courses, and graduate students, and teachers, then they are used to test scientific papers. The process of writing student scientific articles is supervised by a supervisor, who usually also notifies of the possibility of publication.
If the student himself found information that you can write an article, you need to warn the supervisor about this.
Unlike newspaper articles of an entertaining nature, the scientific one has the following features:
- It is written in the framework of the experimental style.
- It does not contain jargon, vernacular, and dialecticism, derogatory and affectionate, and other vocabularies that do not correspond to the scientific style.
- All arguments and arguments in the article should have a scientific platform.
- Accuracy of facts.
- Using theoretical information from authoritative sources (traditionally, at the beginning of a scientific article, scientists who have already worked on various aspects of the chosen topic and briefly talk about their achievements are listed).
- It contains clichés of scientific style.
- It has a clear structure (there may be minor deviations, which are necessarily prescribed in the requirements ).
Usually, the topic of the article corresponds to the subject of the thesis or master's thesis, highlighting its aspect.
v Types of Scientific Articles
Depending on the nature of the problem, as well as the features of the information that the author wants to convey to readers, scientific articles are divided into three types:
- Experimental and theoretical articles are based on academic information about the problem (the author takes several theoretical sources, analyzes them, compares and draws certain conclusions, and the article is based on this);
- Empirical or scientific-practical articles convey the author's own experience in constructing an experiment, conducting it, etc., by the way, the word "empirical" has Greek roots and translates as "experience."
- Review articles systematize and provide information on the research and achievements of scientists in solving a problem.
Whichever type you choose, you need to remember that the article should be different in novelty and relevance. Plagiarism of other people's thoughts in science has no value.
v Where do you publish scientific articles?
This question usually arises from the students of the first courses, who believe that scientific articles to read, no one will.
Nevertheless, the readership is quite extensive: teachers, students, graduate students, people associated with science, and those who require a scientific platform from the profession.
Most often, scientific articles are published in:
- Scientific, popular science, methodological, scientific, and theoretical journals (the selection of articles in them is usually hard: the editors care about the authority of their periodicals, and teachers with a scientific degree or talented graduate students often select).
- Scientific journals published by the university itself (it's already easier to publish here, but you need to make enough effort).
- Popular science newspapers.
- Collections of conference materials (student, inter-university, intra-university, international; it is easiest to publish your brainchild in student collections).
v How to write an article: general rules?
The list of universal rules that should be adopted:
- As soon as you find out about the possibility of scientific publication, first of all, get acquainted with the requirements (to the content and design ) that are put forward by the conference organizers or the editorial staff of the journal.
- When choosing a topic, keep in mind that it is advisable to "connect" it with the graduation theme (it will be easier to write this way, and there will be plus one publication for testing).
- The topic should be narrow since the volume of the article is relatively small (usually about 3-5 pages).
- The main requirement that is put forward for scientific articles regardless of the specialty of their author is novelty and relevance.
v Some writing tips
- After choosing a topic, be sure to show it to the supervisor, he will tell you what to correct.
- Pay particular attention to volume restrictions; if your article is more significant, it may not be missed.
- The final version of the text of the article must be carefully checked for punctuation, spelling, grammar, and stylistic errors, as the publication is intended for a wide range of readers.
- After publishing the article, write yourself a notebook (or create a separate file for this on your computer) for its full bibliographic description. So you will gradually compile a list of publications that will be easy to fit into testing.
- Often the publication of a scientific article needs to be paid, do it by a postal order, or through a bank. After payment, be sure to save the check, it may be asked to present along with the first page of the article, certified by the supervisor.
A scientific article is an excellent opportunity to show your scientific talent to a full circle of readers, so you need to approach your writing thoroughly.